Chromecast can be used to cast content from Android or iOS devices or use Google Chrome to cast content from client PCs.
Video and audio files can now be streamed from the VLC media player on your PC to your Chromecast connected to your TV. This is available from version 3.0 of VLC for Windows and Mac PC’s.
- You’ll require a Chromecast ,or an Android TV system like the NVIDIA SHIELD which needs to be on the same local network as your wired or wireless Chromecast device to cast content.
To Cast Video From VLC
- Click it directly if your Chromecast appears in the menu. Sometimes you may not find the Cast icon in the in VLC player app.
- In that case, click on Playback menu > Renderer > Scan to find your Chromecast.
Note: Make sure, the TV and Chromecast device is on and you’ve installed the version 3.0 of VLC.
- After selecting the video you want to watch, click the Play button in VLC. Click on Media > Open File to find your desired video.
- You can also, drag a video file to the VLC Media Player window from the opened Explorer window.
- After that, click on View certificate in the Insecure site prompt to view your Chromecast’s security certificate.
- Then, Click on Accept Permanently to add Chromecast’s certificate to your PC.
- Now the video file will start playing on your Chromecast.
Sometimes, you may get notification as below if you are using the older formats like WMV. Click OK in the prompt displayed to proceed with the video. You can also click OK, Don’t warn me again for VLC to convert your files.