The digital personal assistant of Microsoft, Cortana is primarily made to help the users in Search functionality.
Apart from searching your computer, it displays notifications, It can send emails, set reminders, and do all of that using your voice. Users can opt to disable the Cortana with just a toggle in the initial versions.
But this is no longer available after the Anniversary update as that was breaking windows Search. Here we are explaining how to disable Cortana in Windows 10.
Before that let’s see what is Cortana and its functionalities
What is Cortana?
Cortana is a voice-controlled virtual assistant created by Microsoft for Windows PC and devices. Like Siri for Apple, Alexa for Amazon, Cortana has been installed to help you perform basic functions with voice assistant feature.
User can set reminders, use installed applications ,schedule appopintments ,and find information by using Voice- based Cortana.
The virtual assistant answer questions using information from the Bing search engine and all links will open with Microsoft Edge, except when a screen reader such as Narrator is being used, where the links will open in Internet Explorer.
How to turn off Cortana in Windows 10?
- Open regedit the registry editor, from the search box
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
- Right-click on the Windows folder and choose New>Key. Input “Windows Search.” To it and click Enter
- Right click “Windows Search” > New > DWORD (32-bit Value). Name it as “AllowCortana.” Click Enter
- Double-click on AllowCortana, and type in 0 under Data Value.
- Restart the computer (or log out and log back in).
Cortana will now be replaced with a regular search box. To undo the changes and If you feel you want to restore Cortana in future, locate the “AllowCortana” value, and either delete it or set the value to “1”. Before disabling Cortana,
It’s always safe to create a Windows Restore Point .The process will take a few minutes and we can use in the event if something goes wrong while disabling Cortana.