IoT also known as The Internet of Things is the idea of connecting any physical devices to the network to capture, transmit and act on the information they receive using embedded sensors, processors and communication hardware.
The Internet of Things (IoT), is sometimes referred to as the Internet of Everything (IoE).
An IoT device is a simple example of a light or fan that can be turned on using a smartphone app. This category includes machine-to-machine (M2M) communication with sensors connected to the computer that collects and transmits information.
From smart microwaves to self-driving cars, the list includes fitness apps that monitor your heart rate and the number of steps you have taken, as well as other smart gadgets.
It’s more than smart homes, it’s not just that. This involves the linked traffic signal tracking road congestion, or even smart bins signalling when they need to be cleared. Such devices pop up
everywhere and can be used to improve almost any physical object.
IoT & Where Its Used?
IoT are used in different Business verticals:
- Public services
- Transportation and Logistics
- Real Estate
- Automotive Industry
How Does It Work?
Four different components are integrated into a complete IoT system: sensors / devices, connectivity, data processing and user interface
- Sensors/devices : The main component of IoT is sensor / apps. Even the most subtle adjustments are detected by the sensors or devices.
- Connectivity : The data collected would then be sent to the cloud. The sensors / devices can be connected to the cloud using a variety of methods, including: mobile, cable, WiFi, Bluetooth, Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) or directly connecting via Ethernet to the internet.
- Data Processing : After that, the software program analyzes and processes the information quickly to take immediate action. It can be as easy as checking the AC temperature or complex as recognizing objects via cameras.
- User Interface : This meant the last step, i.e. notifying or alerting the end user in a way such as email, text, sounds. Many actions can be carried out automatically as well like changing the room temperature, alerting you about an intruder etc.