For the entire Mac lineup, Apple has finally launched the transition from Intel to Apple Silicon. The California-based tech giant unveiled three new Mac computers that will be powered by the new M1 5nm ARM-based Octa-Core SoC at an online event yesterday.
The firm says it is the most strong chip it has ever made. It is the first chip to be designed on 5-nanometer process technology for the PC, and has 16 billion transistors, the most ever put into a chip by Apple. For greater performance and power efficiency, this blends CPU, I/O, protection, and more into a single SoC.
For graphic-related work, the SoC features an integrated octa-core graphic processing unit (GPU). The M1 SoC is touted to offer industry-leading efficiency per watt percentage with 16 billion transistors.
Speaking of the MacBook Air, one of the first Macs to get the M1 SoC, it now has a fan-less configuration without compromising on any of the performance metrics. The M1 SoC powered MacBook Air is up to 5 times faster in terms of graphics and 9 times faster in the handling of machine learning workloads, according to Apple.
Since 2005, Apple has relied on Intel processors for the Mac, but it has been unhappy with their declining efficiency improvements over the years. In order to achieve faster performance and improved quality, Apple has apparently been working on its own chips for years and is now finally ready to move on to doing what it is already doing with the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Mac.
Indian M1-powered prices for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini
- Apple M1 Chip 13-inch MacBook Air (8-core CPU, 7-core GPU), 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, and fan-less design: Rs 92,900
- Apple M1 Chip 13-inch MacBook Air (8-core CPU, 8-core GPU), 8GB RAM, 512GB Storage, and fan-less design: Rs 1,17,900
- 13-inch Apple M1 Chip MacBook Pro (8-core CPU, 8-core GPU), 8 GB of RAM, and 256 GB of storage: Rs 1,22,900
- 13-inch Apple M1 Chip MacBook Pro (8-core CPU, 8-core GPU),8 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage: Rs 1,42,900
- Apple M1 Chip Mac Mini (8-core CPU, 8-core GPU), 8 GB of RAM, and 256 GB of Storage: Rs 64,900
- Apple M1 Chip Mac Mini (8-core CPU, 8-core GPU), 8 GB of RAM, and 512 GB of storage: Rs 84,900