If your SD card or pen drive become inaccessible with write protection, you’ll not be able to use it to store new data or transfer data normally. Here are the few possible methods to remove the Write Protection on Pendrive or SDcard.
It will display the error message like “Disk is Write Protected” or “Remove The Write Protection or Use another USB”. Most people consider write protection as a problem but it is actually meant to protect your SD card or pen drive from unauthorized write operations.
Check to Unlock Drive
Some USB drive and SD cards come’s with write protection button, if it is enabled then you are not allowed to copy or move the files. You should switch it off.
Scanning with Antivirus
Use a reputed antivirus to scan your SD card and pen drive, sometime it may be affected by viruses, worms. After scanning with the antivirus if it is successful you can get your drive unlocked.
Disable write protection Via Registry
Next method is by overwriting in the registry.
Open Run >> type Regedit -> click on Registry Editor >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM >> CurrentConrolSet >> Control >> StorageDevicePolicy
Set the Value data to ‘0‘ and try copying files in it.
- Launch your command prompt as an administrator and type diskpart.
- Then list disk which displays all the storage media.
- Select the disk number “select disk 2“.
- Now to remove the write protection type “attributes disk clear readonly” and hit enter.
Advanced Boot Options
- Shutdown your computer or laptop.
- Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer.
- Turn on the laptop and then immediately start pressing ( F8 ) key then Advanced Boot.
- Options screen will come up.
- Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- After loading files, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
G:\>format G: and press enter.
- If ask you(Y/N) then press and press enter.
- Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.