This article contains point by point directions to turn off Windows 10 updates permanently. When you look for the steps for the same online you may come across the underneath statements from the clients, yet question is How would you stop them?
“Every time I try to shut down my computer, I was forced to update my Windows 10. But I really don’t want to update my operating system”
There is no choice to stop or turn off Windows 10 Updates utilizing the Control Panel or Settings application in Windows 10, as Windows 10 overrides this setting. Yet, it used to be with before versions of Windows.
How To Shut Down Windows 10 Updates?
Method#1 : Disable Windows Update Service
This method will only be a temporary solution as it only stop the windows 10 cumulative updates. After that it will re-enable itself again.
- First open Run Box(Winodws Key + R) and in the Run Box type services.MSC and then press enter.
- From the list look for Windows Update and then Right Click and select Properties.
- Now a new windows will pop and in the Startup Type select Disable.
Method#2 : Rename The Windows Update Service File
- First open Run Box(Windows Key + R) and then type C:\Windows\System32\
- Once opened search for wuaueng.dll file and then right click then Properties –> Security Tab –> Advanced Option –> Change Owner.
- Then type in your account name and then click on OK.
- Now Windows Security information will pop, click OK which will close properties window.
- Again you need to open Properties of wuaueng.dll file and click on Administrators and then click Edit.
- Now you need to enable Full Control and Click on OK when prompted.
- Now again Windows Security option pop up click on OK, so now we will have the option to rename the file.
- Rename the file and restart your service.
Once completed system will no longer update instead you will receive notification as there was some problem installing the updates.
You can try for any of these steps to stop the stop windows 10 update.