Chromium is a web browser allegedly offering a secure and comfortable browsing environment. Chromium focuses on stopping users from accessing malicious websites by showing warnings about potential hazards.
It’s a legitimate open-source web project that forms the basis for Google’s Chrome browser, but malware writers use this term and use Chromium to force malicious code into Windows PCs.
Several users couldn’t uninstall Chromium from their PC using the traditional methods. Although this may definitely be an installation bug, a bogus Chromium package is more likely causing this specific problem–malware that is sometimes bundled with freeware or shareware accessible on some download sites.
Numerous Chromium processes using High CPU resources are a strong indication of an infection with malware. In this scenario, if you have several instances of Chromium, there is a strong risk that you will be dealing with a malware infection.
This instructions for removing Chromium malware from your Windows machine will help you uninstall & delete Chromium virus & rogue Chromium based browsers.
How To Uninstall Malicious Chromium?
#1 Method Via Control Panel
- First click on the Start button or press the Windows key to open the Start menu, then click on the Settings at the top.
- Now Click on App & features on the left menu.
- Then on the right side, locate Chromium and click it, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm.
#2 Method Via Task Manager
- First got to Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and then go to the Processes tab and locate the Chromium processes.
- Then, right-click on any of them and choose Open File Location.
- Now go back to the Task Manager Close every Chromium process (Right-click > End Task) in Task manager and quickly move down to the next step.
- Return to the malware location folder and delete the main executable Explore.exe.
- Now delete the rest of files from the Explore folder. Once all the files are removed, hit the Up arrow and delete the Explore folder as a whole.
- Finally, delete the Games Bot folder from Local.
- Make sure to empty the contents of your Recycle Bin and reboot your system.
- Now the system should restart without any traces of the Chromium malware.
#3 Method Web Browsers
- Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome browser > In address box type or copy/paste chrome://extensions/.
- Find Chromium extension > Click the trash icon to remove it.
- Mozilla Firefox:
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser > In address box type or copy/paste about:addons.
- Choose a Chromium extension and click the Disable button.
- Internet Explorer;
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear/asterisk icon in the top-right corner.
- In opened menu Manage Add-ons > Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Chromium.