The stable version of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will be released on April 23rd, if you are interested to learn what’s in it, you can now upgrade from lower versions for testing purposes to version of it.
You ‘re probably talking about making the Ubuntu 20.04 upgrade yourself — but how are you doing it?
It is pretty easy actually. And in this guide I’ll show you the steps necessary to upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 or Ubuntu 19.10 to Ubuntu 20.04 right now, no waiting for point releases.
How to upgrade To Ubuntu 20.04 LTS From Ubuntu 18.04 Or Ubuntu 19.10?
To upgrade Ubuntu to the latest version follow step-by-step instructions:
- Check for the “Application & Updates” from Activities in your screen’s top left corner, or from the application menu.
- Go to the “Updates” section once it opens, and change the settings from “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version” to “Long-term support version.”
- You must have a stable Internet connection before proceeding to the next step. You can use the following command to check whether or not you have internet connection:
ping -c 2 techincidents.com
- Now, just as you did in the last step, search for the “Software Updater”.
- Next, if possible upgrade all software to its latest version.
Once you’ve finished updating the software, you’ll receive “Up to date” notification, which means you ‘re ready to upgrade your Ubuntu to the next LTS.
- Now open your terminal in this last step, and type the following command:
- This command will scan for any updates or newer versions of LTS. However, as the stable version of Ubuntu 20.04 will be released on April 23, you will not get an option for a newer version at this time.
- Often, you may not get the upgrade option to Ubuntu 20.04, even after the stable update. It could take a week or more.
- So by running the following order, you can either wait for notification or force your device to update to the beta version of Ubuntu 20.04.
- Click on the upgrade button and you are installing Ubuntu 20.04.
- By keeping your internet connection secure you can now start the upgrade process.
Then, follow the instructions on-screen. Note that you will be prompted to configure some packages manually during the upgrade process, or to select options to use via a prompt.
We hope you upgraded your Ubuntu version from 18.04 or 19.10 to 20.04 with success. If you have encountered any problems along the way or have thoughts to share, use the below feedback form to reach us.